Career mastermind

An MA degree through distance learning could also help you improve your career prospects and gain better access to the international market
A bachelor's degree may be your launch pad for a career but a master's degree (while you work) can give your career an extra push. Be it a better package or a promotion, being a postgraduate can enable you to get there with ease. While most students prefer a full-time course, the trend of taking a master's degree through the distance-learning mode is catching up with working professionals. There are examples where a worthwhile distance-mode PG stamp does help professionals reap the benefits in their careers. It is well-known that a PG qualification can earn you better rewards over a plain graduate degree. However, in the case of Nimisha Arora, a master's degree was like icing on the cake.
She says, “An MBA helped me grow as a professional. I thoroughly enjoyed studying the syllabus because I was working simultaneously and could relate to the practical aspects of the learning process. Now that I am through with my course, I can feel the palpable changes. I am better organised and have sharpened my managerial skills. Besides, even at the workplace, my suggestions are taken into account and people's perception of who I am has changed a lot. Apart from these positives, a postgraduate degree also helps people earn a better package as compared to just a graduate degree. The options increase manifold,“ she adds.
While for some a master's degree is about raking in the moolah, there are others for whom it is a passport for a future abroad. Meet Kapil Mahajan (name changed), a manager in a telecom firm.
“I am doing pretty well for myself in my current job. I earn well, am settled and for career advancement, I keep taking certifications off and on. I never gave a thought to a two-year master's degree, because it is not really required in my industry. However, last year I applied for a position in the United States, and my application was rejected because I did not have a master's. It was then that I decided to go for an MBA programme through the distance-learning mode.“ Mahajan recently finished his MBA and awaits “a good opportunity“.

No comments:

Post a Comment