life coach - Help! My roomies are troubling me



I have just moved to Delhi for my bachelor's. I am living in a PG. I feel my roommates, who are my seniors in college, are troubling me on purpose. They have even blamed me for something they lost the other day and made a big issue out of it.
All this is affecting my image and I am not able to make new friends in college and the city. I often end up crying and don't want to bother my parents. What should I do? Will I be able to change my situation and how?

--Aggrieved roomie It is indeed courageous of you to come out with the problem and discuss it. Many new students, especially those migrating from a different city, take time to adjust to the cultural and social changes. Not only are you in a completely new place, but you have also left a deeply protective environment. If you think your roommates are troubling you on purpose, try talking to them and find out the reason. Talk to your classmates and try to deal with it together. This way you will not find yourself alone. If it still doesn't help, then it would be advisable to talk to your landlord/lady about it.
As far as your image in college is concerned, you need to give it some time. Since you have just started college and are not familiar with anyone, making new friends will be a gradual process. You can interact with new people by taking the initiative of introducing yourself to them, participating in the college fresher's party, signing up with different societies/clubs in the college etc.
Try not to lose sight of the main reason that brought you to Delhi, and don't let your academic performance suffer. If you think that talking to your parents would make you feel better, then do so, as they may have some useful advice for you. Having their support would undoubtedly help you through this difficult phase in your life. Good luck! The author is a senior consultant psychiatrist with Moolchand Medcity and Vimhans, New Delhi. Send him an email at hthorizons@hindustantimes.com, marked `Dr Nagpal'

No comments:

Post a Comment