'Sachin deserves Bharat Ratna'



World champion Viswanathan Anand says the batting maestro is the right contender for the honour. Excerpts from a media interaction:



Chennai is being considered as a possible venue for the world championship tie. How much difference would it make? Will there be pressure of playing at home?
Right now, it hasn't been decided where the world championship will be held. However, if it is held in Chennai, it will be more exciting. There won't be any pressure, as you have to block everything when you start the game. But yes, there will be some distractions for me.

Your opponent Boris Gelfand is known for his hard work and strong preparations. What's your opinion about him?
He is definitely a strong contender. He has come through many difficult situations in tournaments and has the ability to repeat it. Moreover, he scores over me when it comes to experience and preparations. It will be a very challenging tie.

Many sports are following Indian Premier League format to popularise their game. Do you think it will boost the board game too?
This is an interesting idea. This attractive format, I think, can be replicated in chess too. However, the game needs a critical base. Even the spectators need to know the game thoroughly. This makes chess different.

There is a proposal that the sports persons should also get the Bharat Ratna and you are a strong contender for that award along with Sachin Tendulkar. What is your say on that?
Basically, I am not thinking about that right now. My focus is on the world championship. However, if it's going to be, then I feel that Sachin definitely deserves it.

Do you think that the Indian players lack killer instinct during the game as compared to western countries?
I don't think so. I never lacked killer instinct. I just showed it in a different way. I definitely enjoy defeating opponents but I don't show it at all.

How did you manage to keep your cool during your match against GM Garry Kasparov when he made aggressive gestures and slammed doors in 1995?
It was a big mistake that I let it go. I should have protested that time, but I kept it inside. I tried that I shouldn't let my opponent know that he is disturbing me.

In most sports, the associations are run by the government. Do you think this is the right way?
I feel it's government's duty to provide infrastructure and other facilities, which is not possible for everyone. Rather than running the associations, they should help them for smoother functioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment