Expert advice from Rani Mukerji

RANI MUKERJI

Acclaimed actress, the Khandala girl and bona fide Bollywood bombshell Life is short. Too short to climb every mountain, reinvent every wheel and make every mistake yourself. So why waste time when those who did it their way and did it well show us how to

You decide what you want to wear. Your spectacular could be someone else’s hideous. I say, go with your spectacular!

SMILING WIDE, EVEN ON A BAD DAY
Being in the public eye is no picnic. You have to always look good, smile, behave, put your best foot forward. You have to be just perfect every single time. For stars, it’s an occupational hazard, but anyone, in any profession can feel that pressure.
I learnt to deal with it on the job. If the brooding and the negativity gets too much, disconnect, immediately. The minute I start feeling low, I bake wonderful cakes that everyone loves to eat. They bust my stress and get me compliments. You could take a holiday. Or try pottery. Or just read a book, or catch a film. But do something that is unrelated to your stress.

ON DEALING WITH ADULATION AND CRITICISM
Somewhere, some time someone will be saying or writing something that’s not going to be nice. Pay it no heed. Every time I read a rumour or a bad thing about me, I let it pass. It’s possible that the person was expected to write a negative story. Should they have checked? Of course. Should they have been a little sensitive? Absolutely. But they didn’t. Does it hurt? Sure it does. But should you let it affect you? No. Remember: the fact that they are saying things about you means you are important to them.
 
You cannot, cannot please everybody all the time. And no one really wants to hear your defence. Everything I do is scrutinised – from the dress I wear at a party to how I look in a film. I was panned for wearing a ‘nightie’ gown to Karan Johar’s party. Sure, it may have looked like a nightie. But hello, can I please also have a bad day? There are days when you’ll look or feel bloated, when you’re just not in the mood to wear a perfectly fitted gown. So what? You decide what you want to wear. Your spectacular could be someone else’s hideous. But I say, go with your spectacular!
ON FINDING PRIVACY
Who says actors can’t have a private life? Maybe it is a little messy to walk down Linking Road, but it isn’t difficult to catch a private dinner or an evening out. The trick is not to announce it to the world. I go out with family, friends or whoever. I just make sure am not telling the world where and when I’m going.



ON LIVING YOUR DREAM
Everything has a silver lining... No it’s not just something people say. I believe in it firmly. My first film flopped badly. For all practical purposes, I should have been written off. But both Aamir and Shah Rukh saw some trailer or some song of the film and recommended me to their directors, Vikram Bhatt for Ghulam and Karan Johar for KuchKuchHota
Hai. Chance? Could be, but it gave me a huge belief in positivity. Everything has a good side. Believe in it and you’ll believe in yourself. But be secure – you can’t hold on to the crown forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment