How do movies influence career choices in college?

How do movies influence career choices in college?
Students share their perspectives on how the process works and why films inspire them to get into specific courses
I think that movies play a very important role in a student’s life and influence his or her decisions to a large extent. Personally, I am of the opinion that movies do affect one’s decisions from a career perspective as some part of us wants to be like the movie stars, adopt the way they talk, the way they dress, they way they behave, etc. Even the varied characters they play in the movies do affect a student’s psyche like no other thing can. Also, when students see their favourite stars 'on the job' and when they read about their life, they try to ape them in every way possible. For instance, the movie that has influenced me in a way is 'Rocket Singh Salesman of the Year' as they show his amazing marketing skills, the way of managing people and dealing with the tricks of seniors very brilliantly. Also, they show the character to be dedicated to his work. So, in a way the movie did inspire me to be as dedicated as the character academically and also to take up a stream, which allows me to take up a career in management in the future.
—Priya Athwal, FYBA,
GN Khalsa College of Arts Science and Commerce

If you ask me whether films have played a part in my career choices and to get into specific courses, my answer would be no, not at all. While some movies are influential, they have not really inspired me to take up a career as such. But yes, some genres of movies are a great influence. However, they haven’t really affected my decisions as I am of the opinion that movies are a relaxing way to pass time. They are just made for entertainment purposes. Although the movie 'A Beautiful Mind' did inspire my interest in psychology, it did not really make me want to choose a career by itself. I think one should not really take movies very seriously. This is because movies in general, no however realistic they may be, are purely fictitious. Hence, they should only be considered to be a source of entertainment and not form the basis for career decisions.
­­—Divya Mistry, SYJC Arts,
Ruia College of Arts and Science

No comments:

Post a Comment